Mormon Mafia, Howard Hughes & Summa Corp.
by PAUL DROCKTON
(1-18-12) "Summa Corporation was the name adopted for the business interests of Howard Hughes after he sold the tool division of Hughes Tool Company in 1972. The tool division would merge with Baker International in 1987 to form Baker Hughes, the world's third-largest oil-services company.
"The name "Summa", Latin for "highest", was allegedly chosen by several of Hughes' employees without consulting him first. Hughes was allegedly dissatisfied, and preferred the name "HRH Properties" - with the initials standing for both "Howard Robard Hughes" and "Hughes Resort Hotels". His suggestions were never implemented, and the company remained Summa for 18 years following Hughes' death."
Its holdings included:
* KLAS-TV - the Las Vegas CBS affiliate
* Hughes Air West
* Hughes Sports Network
* Hughes Helicopters - a former division of Hughes Aircraft Company retained by Summa when the remainder of the aircraft business was donated to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute as its endowment
* Sands Hotel
* Frontier Hotel and Casino
* Landmark Hotel and Casino
* Castaways Hotel and Casino
* Desert Inn
* Silver Slipper Casino
* Xanadu Princess Resort
* Hughes Nevada Mining
Whitewashed history as tried to portray Howard Hughes as the white knight that rode into Vegas to push out organized crime.